Connect with us

News

Take part in SONA protest, student council presidents urge

University of Santo Tomas student leaders, along with different national organizations, urged the youth to participate in the nationwide protest for the incoming fifth State of the Nation Address of President Duterte on July 27.

Published

on

Screengrab from SONAgKAISAng Kabataan sa Paglaban press conference

University of Santo Tomas student leaders, along with different national organizations, urged the youth to participate in the nationwide protest for the incoming fifth State of the Nation Address of President Duterte on July 27. 

“It is imperative that we take a stand on the different social issues that our country is currently facing,” Artlets Student Council acting president Paolo Jericho Manuel said during a webinar today, June 20.

Manuel said that democracy, development, and justice are compromised right now due to the government’s incompetence and misplaced priorities, citing the 11,000 ABS-CBN workers who lost their jobs and the signing of the “vague” Anti-Terrorism Act into law. 

Manuel stressed that there is an urgent need for government action in addressing the problem with the accessibility of education.

Department of Education records showed that six million students from last year failed to enroll for the incoming academic year 2020-2021. 

‘Evil move’ 

Central Student Council president Robert Dominic Gonzales called on the youth to stay vigilant in this time of injustices. 

Gonzales said that the passing of the Anti-Terrorism Law is an “evil move” by the government to silence its critics. 

“We will still be haunted by the horrors that this administration has caused,” he said. 

Gonzales also lauded the sacrifice of the frontliners during the COVID-19 pandemic and encouraged the public to protect and support them. 

The webinar, “SONAgKAISAng Kabataan sa Paglaban,” was organized by the Youth Act Now Against Tyranny (YANAT). Raheema Velasco 

Comments

News

Maging malikhain sa ‘Enhanced Virtual Mode’ ngayong taon—Bise Kansilyer

Sa kabila ng pandemya, hinimok ng bise kansilyer ng Unibersidad ang mga guro na “maging malikhain” sa panibagong taong panuruan.

Published

on

Litrato sa Misa de Apertura sa Plaza Mayor noong Pebrero 13, 2020. (Larizza Lucas/TomasinoWeb)

Sa kabila ng pandemya, hinimok ng bise kansilyer ng Unibersidad ang mga guro na “maging malikhain” sa panibagong taong panuruan. 

Ayon sa misa ni Bise Kansilyer Fr. Napoleon Sipalay O.P. noong Agosto 12, iisa ang buong pamantasan sa pagbagtas ng implementasyon ng Enriched Virtual Mode sa gitna ng pandemyang kinakaharap ng bansa. 

“We are one community in this experience…[a]nd we also encourage our teachers this is the right time for us to be very creative. Be docile to cooperate to make this learning Enhanced Virtual Mode possible,” ani ni Fr. Sipalay. 

Ayon kay Fr. Sipalay na kasalukuyan ring Priory Provincial ng Order of Preachers, sapat ang kakayahan ng Unibersidad para tulungan ang mga mag-aaral sa taong panuruan na ito. 

Pinaalalahan din niya ang mga mag-aaral na maging positibo, huwag mawalan ng pag-asa bagaman hindi madali ang situwasyon dala ng pandemya, at umangkop sa darating na online classes.

“A special word for [the] students: I know this is not an easy journey for this year with the experience of anxietiesfears…[W]hat we need is to encourage and give a word of hope to everyone that this is possible. We can do this together,” ani Fr. Sipalay. 

Binigyang diin din sa misa ang kahalagahan ng paghingi ng tulong sa panahong ito ay kinakailangan. 

“If you want to talk to someone, we have this counseling center. If you have no (sic) enough skills, get the right skills from the right person,” ayon kay Fr. Sipalay. 

Ang tradisyunal na Misa de Apertura, o tinatawag ding Misa ng Espiritu Santo, ay taunang selebrasyon ng banal na misa upang opisyal na simulan ang panibagong taong panuruan ng Unibersidad. 

Comments

Continue Reading

News

Artlets student councils appeal for explanation on fund, tuition

The Faculty of Arts and Letters Student Council (ABSC), together with its Board of Members (BOM), appealed for the reconsideration of the table of fees which was released last August 9.

Published

on

Arden Esmile/TomasinoWeb

The Faculty of Arts and Letters Student Council (ABSC), together with its Board of Members (BOM), appealed for the reconsideration of the table of fees which was released last August 9.

“[S]ocio-economic problems are also experienced by the Thomasian community who had been adversely affected by the loss of livelihood, displacement, and even contraction of virus,” their appeal said.

The letter or appeal, last August 9, was addressed to Rev. Fr. Richard G. Ang, O.P. The Rector, Rev. Fr. Rolando M. Castro, O.P. The Vice-Rector for finance, and Prof. Marilu R. Madrunio, Ph.D., The Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Letters.

“The Artlets Student Council appreciates the efforts of the University to alleviate the financial hardship of students and their parents…[H]owever, the reduction is not enough,” ABSC said.

According to the ABSC, students and parents have approached and given their sentiments over the tuition fee reduction which have been “disapproving and unsatisfactory.” 

Parents have also been vocal about the insufficient reduction of fees in the comment section of the University Facebook page. 

It is, according to the council, a critical moment to exercise compassion as the University homes students of varying financial capabilities. 

“Some students opted not to enroll for the upcoming academic year because they could not afford it,” the council said.

“[W]e urge the University to leave no student behind and exercise the Thomasian core value of compassion,” the council added. Cherizza Mae Bautista

Comments

Continue Reading

News

‘Duterte regime falls deaf to people’s cries’ –CSC, LSCs

Central Student Council (CSC), along with the Local Student Councils (LSC), denounced President Duterte’s lack of COVID-19 response roadmap in his fifth and penultimate State of the Nation Address yesterday, July 27. 

Published

on

Carmina Beatriz Dizon/TomasinoWeb

Central Student Council (CSC), along with the Local Student Councils (LSC), denounced President Duterte’s lack of COVID-19 response roadmap in his fifth and penultimate State of the Nation Address yesterday, July 27. 

“As we reflect upon the state of our nation, so stands our responsibility to address incompetence, the lack of national response from the administration in implementing the need for mass testing and systematic protocols in containing the virus, and its blatant value for militarization over medical solutions,” CSC’s said in a unity statement released yesterday. 

The councils demanded accountability from public officials such as Senator Kiko Pimentel, NCRPO chief Debold Sinas, and Malacañang spokesperson Harry Roque. 

They also called on lawmakers who created “rushed laws that impede fundamental humans rights and freedom of speech.”

‘This is not how democracy works’ 

As Thomasians, the council expressed that they “could no longer sit idly” and watch the government compromise and abuse the country’s freedom. 

“As President Duterte falls deaf towards the cries of his people, his self-serving and personal interests prevail,” CSC said. 

According to them, this is not how democracy works. 

“[I]t is our utmost responsibility that we use our voice to speak for the silenced and oppressed,” the council said. 

“[W]e will embody the resistance and furbish our strength until it extends to the majority of our fellow Filipinos, the true cradle of our sovereignty,” the council added. Paolo Alejandrino 

Comments

Continue Reading

Trending